The world’s oldest clipper ship has been renamed City of Adelaide at a ceremony in London overseen by the Duke of Edinburgh.
The City of Adelaide was built in 1864 and carried migrants to South Australia in the late 19th century.
In the 1920s she was renamed HMS Carrick and used as a navy training ship in Scotland, and was left there to rot until a restoration project began.
During the ceremony, Prince Philip bestowed the sailing ship’s original name back upon her.
After a long battle the clipper is now returning to Adelaide via London.
It is hoped it will be back in Australia early next year.
Federal support had been held up since the change of government in Canberra, but now has been finalised.