Australian Greek Oztag vs New Zealand score was 23 – 3

Australia’s finest Greek oztag players

Image may contain: 28 people , people smiling

So after a long few months and hard work ppl are finally getting Excited.

Australia’s finest Greek oztag players will be representing Greece This weekend in New Zealand at the 2016 Oceania indiginous invitational Cup..

Good luck to all our players, coaches and managers travelling today and tomorrow I hope you all do is proud and bring back the cup in all divisions.


Day 1 Oceania Cup..

Most our teams did well on day 1..

21s Mens, – Won 2 – Lost 1

Womans, – Lost 3.

Mixed Opens – Won 2 

Mens Opens – Won 2        

Mens 40s – Lost 3

Andri Eleftheriou of Cyprus won the bronze medal shoot-off

Source: SMH

Laura Coles claims Commonwealth shooting gold

Gold medal effort ...  Laura Coles  of Australia competes in the Women's Skeet qualifying at Barry Buddon Shooting Centre.Gold medal effort … Laura Coles of Australia competes in the Women’s Skeet qualifying at Barry Buddon Shooting Centre. Photo: Jeff J Mitchell / Getty Images

Laura Coles has won gold in the women’s skeet to claim Australia’s first shooting medal of the Commonwealth Games.

The 27-year-old exercise physiologist shot 14 out of 16 targets in the gold medal shoot-off against Wales’ Elena Allen, who missed three shots to finish with silver on Friday.

On the podium ... from left, Elena Allen of Wales, Laura Coles of Australia and Andri Eleftheriou of Cyprus receive their medals after winning the Women's Skeet final at Barry Buddon Shooting Centre.On the podium … from left, Elena Allen of Wales, Laura Coles of Australia and Andri Eleftheriou of Cyprus receive their medals after winning the Women’s Skeet final at Barry Buddon Shooting Centre. Photo: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Andri Eleftheriou from Cyprus won the bronze medal shoot-off. Australia’s Lauryn Mark made it to the semi-final, finishing sixth.

Australian tourist in Greek arrest crossfire

An Australian tourist has been injured as Greek police captured one of the country’s top fugitives after a shootout in central Athens.

An Australian man has been caught in the crossfire as Greek police captured far-left extremist Nikos Maziotis – one of the country’s top fugitives – after a shootout in central Athens.

“Nikos Maziotis has been arrested,” a police source said on Wednesday, adding that a police officer had been injured in the shooting near the tourist district of Monastiraki.

Maziotis and a policeman were injured during the shootout accoridng to media reports.

According to early reports, two male tourists – an Australian and a German – were also lightly hurt in the exchange of fire, the police source said.

Maziotis himself, a leading member of defunct militant outfit Revolutionary Struggle, was more seriously injured, state television Nerit reported.

“I saw a man being taken away with his hands behind his back, he was bleeding profusely,” a witness told reporters at the scene.

“I believe he was wearing a wig,” she added.

Media reports said Maziotis was armed with a handgun and a grenade, which he threw at the police but failed to explode.

Maziotis, 42, and his companion Panagiota Roupa – also a one-time member of Revolutionary Struggle – had been conditionally released from prison in 2012 and subsequently disappeared.

They have a four-year-old son who was born in an Athens hospital a few months after his parents were imprisoned in 2010.

Revolutionary Struggle, which first emerged in 2003, was once deemed by authorities to be the country’s most dangerous far-left organisation and is on EU and US lists of terrorist groups.

The United States put a bounty on the group after it fired a rocket at the US embassy in Athens in 2007 without injuring anyone.

Nick Kyrgios in most important phase of his career: John Fitzgerald

Source: canberratimes

Canberra teen tennis star Nick Kyrgios.
Canberra teen tennis star Nick Kyrgios. Photo: AP

Former Australia Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald says Canberra young gun Nick Kyrgios is in the middle of his most important development phase, but doesn’t think the world No.66 needs a high-profile coach for the next stage of his blossoming career.

Kyrgios is considering a switch from current Melbourne-based coach Simon Rea, after deciding he wants to be closer to his family.

He will leave for Melbourne on Monday to begin a three-week training block with Rea before his next tournament – the Rogers Cup, in Toronto, from August 2.

His first date with Rafael Nadal was a dream come true, knocking Nadal out of Wimbledon and off the top rung of men’s tennis, and the Canberran might not have to wait long for his next outing with the world No.2.

The Rogers Cup is part of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 series and the top 44 men’s players have committed to it, including Nadal, world No.1 Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and the man who knocked Kyrgios out of Wimbledon in the quarter-finals, Milos Raonic.

Rea has coached Kyrgios for the past 18 months, which has seen him climb from outside the top 800 to within sniffing distance of the top 50.

But Kyrgios is considering a switch and Aussie legend Pat Cash, who coached Mark Philippoussis to the 1998 US Open final, threw his hat into the ring earlier this week.

Fitzgerald didn’t want to comment on Kyrgios’ coaching situation as he didn’t know the details, but he did feel choosing a coach was horses for courses.

“Whatever works for the athlete – Roger Federer spent a large part of his career with no coach,” Fitzgerald said.

“I think it’s horses for courses, I really do. You work out along the journey what you need and what you don’t need … just surround yourself with good people.”

But Fitzgerald did think Kyrgios was in the middle of the most important stage of his career, which would decide exactly how high the 19-year-old could climb on the world rankings.

He said a player did most of their development from the years of 15 to 22.

It was a stage when Kyrgios couldn’t afford to be satisfied and needed to keep pushing himself to ensure he got the most out of what Fitzgerald hoped was a long career.

Fitzgerald said the surge to the Wimbledon quarter-finals had been a fantastic step forward and he was excited about what Kyrgios could achieve at the world’s most famous tournament in the future.

“Young players improve mainly at his age – from 15 through to 22 is a massive part of your development and he’s in the middle of that,” he said.

“He’s improving quickly, but he can’t stop improving otherwise the ceiling comes down on the end result, so you’ve got to keep improving to try and keep that ceiling as high as possible.”

19-year-old Greek-Australian Pavlos Tsapournis serving in Greek Army

Source: greekreporter.com

armyThe 19-year-old Greek-Australian Pavlos Tsapournis was born and raised in Melbourne, Australia, but decided to do his military duty in Greece, to serve the homeland of his parents. The 19-year-old man is serving on the Greek island of Samos, just across the Turkish coast.

When Greek Minister of Defence Dimitris Avramopoulos during a visit in the camp asked the young man why he decided to come and serve in the Greek army, Tsapournis responded: “It is my duty to the motherland, Minister.”

“Your parents and your commander should be very proud of you,” said the Defence Minister, who was so impressed by the young man’s decision to serve in Greece that he contacted his parents in Australia to thank them and to congratulate them for the way they have raised their son.

The oldest brother of Tsapournis, who was born in Melbourne, also served in the Greek army.

Frankston Seagull Greek Taverna stalwart Nick Karageorgopoulos hangs up his apron

Source: heraldsun.com.au

Nick Karageorgopoulos and Tan Terry. Picture: Martin Reddy

Nick Karageorgopoulos and Tan Terry. Picture: Martin Reddy Source: News Limited

AFTER 29 years serving saganaki and other Greek specialties to his many customers, Nick Karageorgopoulos, the face of Seagull Greek Taverna in Frankston, is hanging up the apron.

And after that, there will be no cooking — not even in the home kitchen — for the man who has made his life satisfying the appetites of thousands of diners with dishes such as grilled mussels and lamb on the spit.

Instead, he’ll drink, go fishing for whiting and snapper in his friend’s boat and take holidays with his wife.

While he will be glad to leave the cooking behind — he has spent up to 11 hours a day in the kitchen — there are aspects of the business he will miss.

Seagull Greek Taverna has been a Frankston institution for 30 years. Picture: Martin Redd

Seagull Greek Taverna has been a Frankston institution for 30 years. Picture: Martin Reddy Source: News Limited

His customers, the majority of them regulars who have continued to return and whose food preferences he files in his memory, are an obvious example.

Among them are Jeff and Rita, who share the seafood and meat platter; Michelle, who has stuck to prawn saganaki since 1985; and Brian, who “goes for fish all the time and he pinches salsa from his wife”.

“I make really good friends over the years,” Mr Karageorgopoulos said.

“In the early days I used to do 120 to 130 people on Fridays and Saturdays. In the late ‘80s and early ‘90s you have to book at least two to three weeks in advance for the weekend.”

He retires at Easter, but until then Mr Karageorgopoulos will be mentoring the restaurant’s new owner, Kiwi Tan Terry — a former roofing plumber, passing on his craft, wisdom and knowledge.

In a deal struck over a glass of Scotch, Mr Karageorgopoulos agreed to hand over the tongs on the condition that Mr Terry continue to serve Greek cuisine.

For a man who hadn’t eaten at a Greek restaurant before he stepped into the Seagull, it is a daunting prospect, but one he is taking up with gusto, knowing he is learning from a master.

“Nick does everything. I call him Superman at times,” he said.

Wagga-born actor Lex Marinos to release mid-year penned a memoir Blood and Circuses

Source: dailyadvertiser.com.au

MEMOIR: Wagga-born actor Lex Marinos has penned a memoir which is set to be released in July this year. Picture: Ross Coffey

MEMOIR: Wagga-born actor Lex Marinos has penned a memoir which is set to be released in July this year. Picture: Ross Coffey

WAGGA-born actor Lex Marinos has penned a memoir Blood and Circuses about his childhood and more than three decades in front of the camera.

The book is expected to be released in July.

According to publisher Allen and Unwin, the book tells the story of “a young Greek Australian boy, whose family ran a cafe in Wagga in the ’50s and who dreamt of making his life in theatre a dream that came to pass by accident and design.”

Mr Marinos is probably best known for playing Bruno in Kingswood Country opposite Ted Bullpitt from 1979 to 1984 but he has also acted in classic Australian television dramas Water Rats and A Country Practice.

More recently, Mr Marinos has appeared on ABC television’s The Slap.

Mr Marinos, 65, spoke to the Advertiser briefly about the book but said readers would have to wait until its mid-year release.

A spokeswoman for Allen and Unwin said the book contrasted “Mr Marinos’s experience of being a Greek boy at a time when being a ‘dago’ meant suffering schoolyard abuse with his wildly successful career”.

Leaving Wagga in 1963, Mr Marinos studied drama at the University of New South Wales before starring and directing a number of television shows in the ’80s and early ’90s a contribution which saw him awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia.

“More than anything else it is a vivid account (of his life), beautifully written by a much-loved Australian,” an Allen and Unwin spokeswoman said.

Labor, Liberal commit to $70,000 to build a commercial kitchen at Unley’s St Spyridon Greek Orthodox Parish

Source: adelaidenow.com.au

Volunteers Anastasia, of Unley and Helen, of Unley, with St Spyridon Greek Orthodox Paris

Volunteers Anastasia, of Unley and Helen, of Unley, with St Spyridon Greek Orthodox Parish priest John Psalios, are pleased the church will be able to build a commercial kitchen to help feed the homeless. Source: News Limited

AN UNLEY church will be able to build a kitchen to feed the homeless no matter which party wins next month’s state election.

Both major parties have promised $70,000 for a commercial kitchen at St Spyridon Greek Orthodox Parish.

Meals will be delivered to the Adelaide Day Centre for Homeless Persons, in Moore St, in the city.

Unley state Liberal MP David Pisoni and Labor candidate Lara Golding announced the funding commitment at the Unley Greek Festival this month.

The promises come after the Federal Government axed a $68,000 grant in December when it scaled back its Building Multicultural Communities program by more than $1.4 million.

Parish priest John Psalios welcomed the funding commitment.

He would work closely with the Moore St day centre to deliver meals each weekday.

“We supply soup and other things to the centre about once a week during winter, when there is greater need,” Father Psalios said.

“Our capacity would be increased so we could cook meals for them throughout the year.

“We’re grateful to both parties for their generosity and hope that the money does come through.”

Mr Pisoni said if the Liberals won the March 15 election, the multicultural grants scheme would be expanded to $1 million, with money for the church kitchen coming from there.

“I met with Father John so I was able to explain to (Opposition Leader) Steven Marshall the importance of the church to the community,” Mr Pisoni said.

Ms Golding said the church’s services were vital to the community.

“This funding is vital for the church to continue to provide services and meals for the homeless on a regular basis,” Ms Golding said.

“I met with Father John earlier this month and I was really impressed with the level of community involvement he encouraged.”

Mr Pisoni holds Unley with a 11.9 per cent margin.

Mary Coustas and husband George Betsis share their baby joy after ten years of trying to conceive

Source: news.com.au

Mary Coustas’ struggle to become a mother has been marred by tragedy, but she finally announces some wonderful news. Excerpt courtesy of Sixty Minutes, Nine Network

MARY Coustas has given the world the first look at her precious baby girl – the daughter she and husband George Betsis waited ten years to meet.

In an emotional interview with 60 Minutes last night, the delighted new parents showed off their pride and joy, Jamie Betsis, who they welcomed to the world in November last year.

It was a happy follow-up to the heartbreaking interview the pair gave in August last year which detailed their decade of trying to conceive via IVF and the tragic setbacks they endured along the way.

“We didn’t assume that we would get the happy ending,” Coustas told Channel Nine last night.

“I mean many people don’t and we were looking like we were not going to get it.”

Mary Coustas and baby Jamie. Picture: Channel Nine

Mary Coustas and baby Jamie. Picture: Channel Nine Source: Supplied

Back in August, Coustas who is known for her portrayal of TV personality Effie, told of how she endured almost 20 separate IVF treatments and numerous miscarriages in her attempt to fall pregnant.

She also shared her devastating experience of having to go through a selective reduction process after falling pregnant with triplets only to eventually give birth to one, a stillborn baby girl she named Stevie.

“I still went back to Greece on three occasions after Stevie,” she said. “I still did six other attempts after Stevie to get Jamie.

“That’s a lot, that’s more than most people do to get one child, the first time they do IVF.

“And yet I’m sure I’ve done over 20 IVFs. I don’t even dare to find out the amount.”

Mary Coustas, affectionately known to most Australians as Effie, revealed her heartbreaki

Mary Coustas, affectionately known to most Australians as Effie, revealed her heartbreaking struggle to become a mother in an interview last August. Picture: 60 Minutes Source: Supplied

Proud dad Betsis said they were never going to give up on their chance of being parents until they had exhausted every opportunity.

“I think experiences like this, you discover your limits and you test your limits and we didn’t want to have any regrets later to say that we didn’t fully exhaust every ounce of our energy and being to get there,” he said.

Jamie was born on the 25th November last year in the same ward in the same hospital as Effie lost her Stevie at 22 weeks.

“When (Jamie) appeared it was such an overwhelming feeling of proof of all that effort, all that not giving up was finally there personified in this prize and she was just adorable. It was just the most intravenous feeling of ‘yes it happened. It actually happened’.

Baby Jamie was born on November 25 last year.

Baby Jamie was born on November 25 last year. Source: Supplied

“I had nothing to worry about anymore. It’s like for the last decade we’ve been sitting in a room with the lights out and then finally someone came and switched the lights on.

“Nothing good comes out of giving up. If I’d given up we wouldn’t have gotten to this.

So the question on everyone’s lips is would the pair do it again for a chance at a sibling for Jamie?

“I don’t know whether we could do it again,” said Coustas. “I cant see it.”

Added Betsis: “I don’t know, I think we’re pretty happy right now.”

 

Mary Coustas shows off her long-awaited baby girl

Mary Coustas, George Betsis and their gorgeous daughter Jamie. Picture: Channel Nine Source: Supplied

Mary Coustas in character as "Effie".

Mary Coustas in character as “Effie”. Source: News Limited

NBC has bathed its version of The Slap in the green glow of success by green lighting the full eight part series.

Source: artshub.com.au

US remake for The Slap

US remake for The Slap

The award-winning Australian series produced by Matchbox for the ABC was based on the novel of the same name by Christos Tsiolkas.

NBCU, the parent company for Matchbox, plucked it from the various offers from its worldwide network of boutique companies to re-concieve it for the US market. The eight episode series went into development in mid-2012 and has this week NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt told reporters at the Television Critics Association that the network has ordered The Slap together with its 75th anniversary retelling of The Wizard of Oz, entitled Emerald City.

Though Matchbox principal Tony Ayres has signed on as an Executive Producer, the US version has been completely rewritten by Jon Robin Baitz, known to us for The West Wing.

The suburban story begins at a backyard barbecue when an unrelated adult slaps a misbehaving child. The fallout leaves friends and family relationships in ruins. Tsiolkas set the story in a Greek Australian family with a racially-diverse group of characters, who were reproduced in the television series.

In directing some of the Australian production Matt Saville (below) emphasised the story’s Australian character and its ‘healthy cynicism towards political correctness’.

Both aspects will challenge the US remake.